Monday, August 27, 2012

Lydia's First Day of School

Here we are! August 27th, Lydia's first day of kindergarten. She has been jumping out of her skin for the past week, counting down. She hasn't been able to fall asleep, telling herself completely bizarre jokes and stories to keep herself awake, shifting around in bed for hours. First day eve, we set out her chosen clothes (making sure to set out new sneakers for GYM), packed her backpack, shopped for her special breakfast (cinnamon raisin toast) and lunch (wheat mini bagels with cream cheese and strawberries), took a shower, set her alarm and hopped into bed. 

Here she is eating her breakfast (calendar to prove date and my amazing effort to absolutely post this DAY OF).
We worked on her "school hair do" for a couple days; two pony tails with a couple heart-shaped barrettes. Lydia wore her back pack around the house all morning even when she was helping me make and pack her lunch in this super awesome stays-cold-for-10-hours lunch sack from MOOMOO.

Is this a happy face or what?


Here is one of the proud parents pre-tears!

The long walk to wonderment!

Cubby!

I expected some tears from all parties, but not exactly as it actually went down. Lydia isn't taking the bus because we live so close to school and she wanted Daddy to drop her and Mama to pick up. We all went to drop off today (of course). Lydia practically said "don't let the door hitcha in the...". Garnet... first day of his life without his sister to boss, play with and entertain him. It was rough. He kicked, screamed, writhed around as I carried him out of the school (you saw that long hallway, yes, screamed along the entire thing). Daddy and I said, "What can we do, buddy, what do you want to make you feel better?" and he replied over and over that he just wanted Lydia. Thankfully, my friend Alissa came strolling out of the school and asked us to coffee! Light at the end of the tunnel and the healing began. After that, Garnet and I spent a quiet, lovely day blowing bubbles, etc. and waiting for the moment to go pick up our hero to see how it all went!


The day done, stories relayed, has she grown a million days in just this one? When she saw me in her classroom this afternoon, there to pick her up, she looked at me and said, "I'm staying.".

I am having trouble uploading video to the blog lately and I am so incredibly sad right now because I have some priceless moments from today. Once I figure it out, I'll try to go back and update. For now, at least you have these. Lydia's first great departure from home and she was very ready.

1 comment:

Carlos Simental's Mom said...

I can not believe she is going to school, the time past fast; she look so happy with this new adventure.